This sculpture of a monkey is designed by Charles Vos (1888-1954). The work is made of glazed stoneware and is manufactured by De Sphinx around 1930. This earthenware factory was founded by Petrus Regout in Maastricht in 1836. The bottom of the sculpture is marked with the factory stamp of Petrus Regout & Co. The sculpture is depicted in the Zoo Antwerp catalog, '150 white ceramic animals', ESCO, Antwerp, 1993, pp. 98-99.